Tuesday 29 January 2013

Healthy Cutlets (but don't tell the kids that!)

I remember those days at Xavier's when my mornings used to begin with a breakfast of cutlet pav if I were in a hurry. A spicy crispy deep fried potato cutlet served with a soft fresh pav (it used to be 8 in the morning when the pav was just delivered!) and some tangy tomato ketchup. Of course, those were also the days when I could afford to inhale fried foods and not worry much about putting on weight though it was a major goal in life for me to try and put on a bit at least! Anyways, its not only because of weight but due to a general awareness of healthy living that I try and make everything I cook as healthy as I can.

I had these really yummy cutlets (after a really long time) at my friends house for his birthday and I tried to make them today at my place from memory and with my own twists. They turned out really delicious and here I am clicking away at my keyboard really fast and sharing the recipe! 

Healthy Cutlets 

Ingredients

4 medium sized potatoes boiled and mashed
2 carrots grated
1/2 small cabbage grated
1 beetroot grated
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp chilly powder
1 tbsp garam masala
Salt to taste
2-3 tbsps cornflour
Rawa for coating 
2-3 tsbps oil

Method

In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil and add the ginger garlic paste. To this add the grated carrots, the grated cabbage and the grated beetroot. 


All the grated vegetables being sauteed

Add the salt, the garam masala and the chilly powder to the vegetables as they are cooking.


The vegetables being sauteed with the masalas

Once the vegetables are cooked, add the boiled potatoes and more of salt, garam masala and chilly powder (if needed). Cook till the mixture begins to leave the side of the kadhai, leaving it clean.


The vegetable and the potato mixture

Remove from heat and let it cool a bit. Then add the cornflour for binding and mix in well. Make medium sized round cutlets of this mixture and coat with the rawa.



The cutlets shaped and coated with the rawa ready to be shallow fried

On a tawa, heat the rest of the oil and shallow fry the cutlets till golden brown on both sides.


Shallow frying the cutlets

Serve the cutlets piping hot off the tawa with your favourite chutney and ketchup and enjoy!


The cutlets (finally!)





2 comments:

  1. Thanks`to`give`a`note`for`making`delicious`cutlets`

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Let me know how they turn out for you!

      Delete