Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Tomato and Basil Soup

I was watching a food travel show focussed on Italy and on it I heard a celebrated Italian chef call tomato, basil and garlic the 'Holy Trinity' of Italian cooking. Since I love Italian cooking so much, I wondered what can I do to combine these flavours? I thought of making it into a soup, and tried it for the first time today. Now I know why tomato, basil and garlic are called the 'Holy Trinity' of Italian cooking. They make for such a great combination!


Tomato and Basil Soup served hot!


Tomato and Basil Soup

Ingredients

2 tbsps olive oil
8-10 cloves of garlic chopped
5 medium tomatoes diced
2 cups water
4-5 leaves of fresh Italian basil finely chopped
Salt to taste

Method

In a pan heat the oil. Add the chopped garlic and saute till it turns golden brown. To the garlic, add the diced tomatoes and cook till they soften a little and release their juices.

Add in water and salt to the tomatoes and cover and cook till the tomatoes cook through. Blend this cooked mixture in a mixer or food processor till it forms a puree. Strain to get your soup.

Bring the strained mixture to a boil, turn off the heat and then add in the Italian basil.

Serve hot with some croutons or just as it is!